Wednesday 11 June 2008

WA, YEAH

A few days ago, while zapping, I stumbled across a pop concert at the Liceu. I thought they were singing in English, at first. The group was backed by an orchestra and the tune was quite catchy. Before I could make out the words, the song had ended. However, after a short pause, they sang it again, this time in Catalan (I say Catalan, but in fact it was the Catalan spoken in Majorca, which is only slightly different, I think).

Anyway, I checked up and, to my great surprise, nobody had heard of this song until Giorgina, one of my students said:"Antonio Font". In fact, their name is Antònia Font - a curious name for an all-male group! The song was great and I really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it too. Video on the left. Lyrics below

WORDS AND MUSIC BY - JOAN MIQUEL OLIVER
Jo cant sa lluna i s'estrella, sa jungla i es bosc animat,
es tren, es vaixell, s' avioneta i es teu submarí aquí aparcat.
Jo cant es cafè i sa galleta, quan dius tu podries ser meu,
què sexy, que dolça i que freda, wa yeah!
Sa zebra que passa un semàfor i com se desmonta un bidet,
cosmètics i Margaret Astor, ja sé com s'escriu Juliette.
Jo cant sa rosa i es cactus i moltes més coses també,
un llapis d'Ikea, un pistatxo, wa yeah!
Què divertit lo que escric quan estic avorrit,
per exemple es teu cos, es jersei destenyit,
es carrer blanc de sol, es meu cos a damunt,
per exemple, es teu llit de penombra i llençols
amb es termo espenyat, per exemple dormits ...
Jo cant sa lluna i s'estrella, sa jungla i es bosc animat,
es tren, es vaixell, s'avioneta i es teu submarí aquí aparcat.
Jo cant sa fruita vermella i quan acabi riuré,
calàpets, nenúfars, princeses, wa yeah!
REPEAT TWICE - from "Què divertit ..... to .... dormits ..."

2 comments:

georgina said...

Dear Joe:
I'm Georgina, your student of Networks.
Only tell you that the group Anotnia Font sing in Menorqui and not in Malloqui, OK?

Thanks a lot for the information you put in your blog just I'm seeing.
See you next week,
Georgina

Joe said...

Thanks Georgina, sorry about spelling your name with an "i"!

Apparently, they come from Majorca, not Menorca: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B2nia_Font
Thanks for your comment
Joe