Thursday 14 August 2008

BYE BYE BLACKBIRD

There are so many versions of this old favourite that it wasn't easy to decide on one in particular. It really is a sad song, but so many singers give it a happy treatment. I'm not sure about its origins though it would appear that it was composed by Ray henderson (music) and Mort Dixon (lyrics) in 1926. I chose this very pretty, slow version sung by Olivia newton-John in the opening of the film "The Wilde girls" where she stars with her daughter.

Peggy Lee's version is also an interesting one, though a little older, as it includes a spoken part. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYHeiSz425A&feature=related)

Here's the song. Lyrics below. Enjoy.


Pack up all my cares and woes, here I go, singing low. Bye, bye, blackbird.

Where somebody waits for me, sugar's sweet, so is he. Bye, bye, blackbird.

No one here can love or understand me,

Oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me.

Make my bed and light the light, I'll arrive late tonight. Blackbird, bye, bye.

No comments: